This page provides a high-level overview of the full Title IX Grievance process, separate by whether that process is an informal or formal complaint process.
Overall steps in the grievance process
- Formal complaint received by Title IX Coordinator.
- Review and provide supportive measures as necessary.
- Determine if the received complaint meets the criteria for a violation of Sexual Harassment under Title IX regulations.
- If the allegations do not meet the standard of Sexual Harassment as defined in Title IX, SWIHA will:
- Send notice to all parties.
- Provide supportive measures as needed
- Reserve the right to pursue action under SWIHA’s Code of Conduct.
- If the allegations do meet the standard of Sexual Harassment as defined in Title IX, SWIHA will:
- Determine if either formal or informal process is most applicable to the received complaint.
- Continue with the informal or formal process as written below.
- Notification of informal complaint to all parties.
- Acknowledgment of informal process from all parties.
- Scheduling of mediated session to resolve complaint.
- Written Notice of Summary of the conclusion of the informal process, including the determination of the responsibility of the respondent and any remedies to be implemented.
- Implement remedies, if any, as determined by the process of informal resolution.
- Notification of formal complaint to all parties.
- Complete investigative process including the complainant, respondent, and all relevant evidentiary parties and material (inculpatory and exculpatory).
- Notice of Summary of Investigation sent to all parties.
- Review period for all parties to revise or clarify or contest provided evidence.
- If necessary, revision of investigative summary and additional dissemination of revised summary for review by all parties.
- Schedule and conduct formal hearing
- Disseminate Decision-Maker’s Written Determination
- Allow for appeal of Written Determination of responsibility
- Send final Written notice of Determination if the first was appealed.
- Implement remedies, if any, as determined by Decision-Maker.
Title IX Table of Contents