Wellness experts spanning centuries and cultures have acknowledged the healing power of food. In fact, many early physicians were also gardeners who relied on the medicinal properties naturally present in herbs, fruits, vegetables and spices. Today, we have the science-based evidence showing us that nutrition plays a vital role in the prevention of illness and overall mind-body-spirit health, leading to an increased demand for knowledgeable Holistic Nutrition practitioners.
Holistic Nutrition Specialist
Online & On-Campus – Certificate of Excellence – 200 hours
Are you passionate about the healing power of nutrition and creating a healthier lifestyle for yourself and those around you? SWIHA’s Holistic Nutrition program is an excellent choice for anyone interested in turning their passion into a meaningful and successful business. This 200-hour certificate will deepen your understanding of whole food nutrition and how it contributes to optimal health. You’ll learn about the inflammatory effects of the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) and why S.O.U.L nutrition (Seasonal, Organic, Unprocessed and Local whole foods) provide a better, more life-sustaining foundation for healthy living.
You’ll begin in our Holistic Nutrition Foundation sequence of courses, where you will:
- Examine the core principles and concepts of holistic nutrition.
- Acquire a comprehensive understanding of various macronutrients and micro-nutrients, how they influence health, and the best food sources to achieve optimal health.
- Learn to break free of diet culture and mentality, and replace it with healthy eating behaviors.
- Explore whole and raw food principles, including nutrition perspectives and theories, simple cooking techniques, and easy-to-prepare recipes, giving you greater confidence, and efficiency in the kitchen.
- Explore the relationship between the microbiome (gut bacteria) and the rest of the body as well as the whole foods needed to nourish both.
- Examine the maternal and fetal needs during pregnancy, the nutritional needs of growing children, diverging needs by gender during adolescence and adulthood, and the unique nutritional needs of elders and those at the end of life.
The term holistic translates as “the whole.” It is the heart of the mind-body-spirit connection. Holistic Nutrition helps you identify the triggers and outside influences that sabotage healthy eating. The curriculum helps underscore the ways in which the nutritional value of the foods we eat complete the circuit that connects all aspects of our being.
SWIHA’s Holistic Nutrition Program provides a foundation for understanding how essential nutrition is to health outcomes. You’ll learn about the therapeutic properties of unrefined whole-food nutrients, develop healthy shopping habits, learn how to integrate high-quality natural “whole food” ingredients, seasonal recipes, specific cooking techniques, and more into your holistic nutrition practice.
As a Holistic Nutrition Specialist you can help clients:
- Develop a pragmatic and intuitive approach to eating
- Increase vitamin and mineral awareness and learn about the foods that enhance them
- Reach and maintain ideal weight
- Increase energy levels and vitality
- Improve mental clarity and calm
- Prevent or heal illness and disease
- Include nutrition as part of a mind-body wellness plan
Our comprehensive online Certificate of Excellence in Holistic Nutrition program gives you the freedom to learn in your own comfort zone—whether that is right at home, or on the go. Your Holistic Nutrition online learning experience is energized and enriched with interactive media, discussions and a fascinating connection with an online community participating in the same class from around the world.
Holistic Nutrition Classes Part of the Certificate of Excellence
Nutrition – Foundation of Transformational Healing and Holistic Nutrition
Nutrition – Understanding Micronutrients, Macronutrients, and Supplements for Optimum Health
Nutrition – Foundation of Mindful Eating
Nutrition – Comparative Dietary Systems
Nutrition – Whole Food, S.O.U.L. Food
Nutrition – Raw Food Cuisine
Nutrition – Microbiome Wellness
Foundation of Holistic Nutrition
Foundations of Mindful Eating
Micro/Macro Nutritional Biochemistry
Nutritional Needs Across the Life Cycle
Raw Food Cuisine I
Whole Foods Cuisine I
Whole Foods Culinary Specialist
Online – Certificate of Excellence – 100 hours
The Whole Foods Culinary Specialist program has been specially designed to teach and inspire students who are passionate about preparing and sharing healthy meals. Students will learn healthy food improvements for today’s modern diets, how to customize meal planning, learn simple gluten free food preparation as well as how to prepare seasonal food options. Students will also learn how to create a budget for small and large groups and understand the requirements for a food handler’s license. Methodologies and expanded assessment tools will prepare the student in food handling, knife skills and preparation of next level recipes and food preparation. Learn how to become a personal chef and conduct food demonstrations while also exploring marketing and food photography to prepare you with the various business decisions needed to make culinary arts a part of your business!
Are you interested in becoming a Holistic Nutrition Specialist? Ready to take the next step but unsure how to move forward? At SWIHA, we are committed to helping you achieve your dreams and reach your goals: Come sit in on the first 4 hours of any introductory class before you decide whether to enroll. Learn more here.Our Certificate of Excellence programs are avocational, and these courses/programs are designed exclusively for personal or professional development and enhancement.(If taken independently of a Diploma or Degree program)